15th September, 2014
Philly Apartment Fire Safety

The National Fire Protection Association estimates that in 2012 there were 365,000 home fires causing $5.7 billion dollars of damage. Most in-home fires are caused by ordinary things around your apartment like a stove burner, candle, space heater or extension cord. Forgetfulness, poor judgment and carelessness make ordinary appliances and every day activities dangerous. However, by exercising smart safety habits and taking some of the simple prevention steps we recommend below, you can cut down on deadly and damaging fire risks in your Philly apartment.

Smoke Alarms. Always be sure your smoke alarms are working. Test them monthly.

Cooktops. Never leave the kitchen when something is cooking on the stove. Keep flammable objects and other combustibles, such as dishtowels, at least three feet from the stove.

Space heaters. Keep them at least three feet away from drapes and bedding, and plug them directly into outlets, not extension cords. Don’t use space heaters while sleeping.

Electrical equipment. Replace undersized or frayed extension cords. Never run an extension cord under a rug. Use proper light bulbs with the recommended correct wattage for the appliance.

Appliances. Clean all lint from a clothes dryer’s back service panel and from the vent line.

Smoking. Don’t smoke in bed, this is one of the most common causes of serious apartment fires. Use large ashtrays on tables. Soak ashtrays under the faucet before throwing cigarette butts in the trash.

Candles. Candles create a wonderful ambience and can transform your Philly apartment with a soft glow and a sweet smell, but be careful! Burn candles only while you’re awake and in the same room. Keep candles at least three feet away from curtains and wall hangings.

Matches and lighters. Keep matches and lighters far away from the reach of small children.

Go Back